Pages

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Not such a good deed after all

I admit a guilty pleasure of salty snacks. I try to be as healthy as possible with my unhealthy behavior, and as responsible too. So when I saw a "compostable" bag with Sun Chips, it assuaged my guilt just a bit. At least I wasn't creating more trash.

Not so fast.

As this press release states, the bags are not really, truly compostable in a reasonable time. They don't meet the guidelines set out by the Walkers Gore(TM) composting facility, a large commercial operation in Canada. A little more investigation gave me an insight into high volume composting using the Gore Techology. (No, not "that" Gore....) If large scale composting facilities whose business it is to compost can't get the bags to disappear in a timely way, my little compost pile isn't going to do so well with them either. One more reason to get my salt hits from popcorn made at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment