Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

A fishy story?





Not long ago I found a frozen salmon patty that I really liked. And according to the box it was wild caught and seemed to be an environmentally acceptable choice. I recall going to the company's website to read about how they processed their fish and being impressed.

Imagine my surprise when reading "The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved" a book about the current underground food movement(s) in the U.S., I stumbled across a couple of sentences in the part about how fish are caught off our coast, shipped to China to be processed and then shipped back here to be sold. I'd known of this horribly wasteful process but they cited my salmon patty maker, Trident, as an example of this. What? Did they change? Is there another Trident? Was their website not fully transparent? Was the author just wrong?

I want to support companies that are doing the right thing - operating sustainably, providing jobs, producing quality products.  So I did what everyone does these days and did a Google search. Imagine my surprise (sadly, not really) when I read:

ConAgra moved into the prepared seafood market in 1981 with the purchase of Singleton Seafood, the largest shrimp processor in the country, and Sea-Alaska Products. In 1987 ConAgra bought Trident Seafoods and O'Donnell-Usen Fisheries, the producer of Taste O' Sea frozen seafood products, thus positioning the company to compete against the leading frozen seafood brands, Mrs. Paul's Kitchens, Gorton's, and Van de Kamp's.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/conagra-foods-inc#ixzz1eGDCwkUg

It seems my little seafood company that could was owned by giant ConAgra. I guess I'll have to be even more diligent when looking at packages and doing my research. I might still buy a giant's products, but I want to know who I'm dealing with as well as what I'm eating.



No comments:

Post a Comment