Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Future's in Farming

Not so very long ago the numbers of farms and farmers was declining rapidly and the farmer's plight was brought to the attention of the public by Willie Nelson and Farm Aid. While all is not completely rosy in the world of smaller scale farming, it is having a renaissance. And, in my opinion, it isn't a moment too soon. As I've said many times, eating isn't optional. However I want to be able to choose what I eat, how its grown, how far it traveled etc. And without people who are willing to take the risks to grow food near me, that isn't always possible to do. But the more people who choose to make their livelihood in agriculture and food production, the more choices I will have, and the more chances I will have to be able to really know about what I'm eating with the things that I don't raise or grow myself.

Realistically everyone can't farm, but I think everyone can raise some of their own food. And if we're lucky, everyone will be able to know at least one farmer who supplies something they eat.





No comments:

Post a Comment