Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Planting financial seeds


Back when I grew up - it really doesn't feel that long ago, but in terms of practices I guess it is - people mostly knew the people they loaned money to. The same way that they had a pretty good idea of where their food came from. In just a generation or two, that has changed dramatically to the point where recently I saw a video of last an urban teenager from a less advantaged neighborhood taste his first apple. Nothing exotic, just an apple. But he'd never tasted one in his life.

On the financial front, people don't know where their money goes when they invest in a mutual fund or a huge international company. It may go for things they like - or they don't - and they don't have a say. Growing up I remember walking into the Savings & Loan with my little deposits into my savings account (that helped pay for college) and having a vague sense that they were going to get used to build things in the area where I lived. Maybe a house, or apartments or something like that. There aren't so many local financial institutions any more.

Locals used to be in touch with and helping locals. Now we often don't know our neighbors let alone what our savings or investments are used for. And therein lies a bit of a problem for me.

Seems to me that we need to take some steps back so that we return to those earlier practices. I'm not so naive as to think that the clock gets turned back 100% and everything is done on a local level. The world is too interconnected and interdependent for that. But it is possible to consciously choose to eat an increasing percentage of calories from locally produced foods and to encourage and support those people by investing directly in their operations when they need a new piece of equipment or a to expand their storefront, or have a great business idea to get off the ground. Not being the only investor or lender perhaps, but being there in a way that makes a difference. That's the simple idea behind Slow Money.

If investing locally in food and food related businesses is something you are interested in and you reside in SW Michigan or NW Indiana, let's make it happen. Let's recreate a local culture where neighbors help neighbors and we know our food.  Contact me (gardentotableinfo(@)gmail(dot)com). I'd love to hear from you and move this process along...

No comments:

Post a Comment