Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Year of Yes update...





It may not be true, but it really seems that my intentional "year of yes" - doing things I've not done, trying foods I've never had, approaching things differently than what would be automatic - is not only working to my advantage, but keeping me busier than I've been in a long time.

There is very little time left for thinking negatively, for being upset or hurt. With an intentional "yes" outlook I am more positive, initiate more and take more chances. While I might fail, the year of yes allows me to look at what used to be failure and genuinely call it learning.

There is always something to do and - suddenly - people are depending on me to do all manner of things. It makes a difference to me and to them if I don't, unlike before when no one depended on me for anything so doing nothing seemed to harm no one - but me of course.

What is the difference between a "yes" mindset and whatever mindset I had before? Positivity, yes. Fearlessness, yes. Curiousity, yes. And trust, yes.

Situations are positive now, there is always something that I can gain even if it's hard to see at the beginning of a situation. There is always a silver lining to be found, so digging in a looking for it is part of yes. And that means that things that would have previously stopped me in my tracks no longer do. Taking a deep breath I screw up my courage and forge on, mindful of others, not intending to trample or offend, but forge on toward the object of the yes. My curiosity is active - questioning why, how, when, who, where, what if, and why not - rather than taking everything at face value. Too many questions can be annoying, it's true, yet a well phrased question can also shift thinking, change outcomes and relieve frustration by allowing events to be seen from a new perspective. Or allowing me to see my own situations anew. And finally trust. Taken for granted too often, trust is something to be demonstrated and earned. The more I demonstrate that I am trustworthy, the more I am trusted. And the more I am trusted, the more I am willing to extend myself and be open to trusting others first. Sadly that is not something I have always done easily. But now, wow!

The bottom line: the experience is good so far. That curiosity thing makes me wonder what more good things are in store in the balance of the year.

(For prior posts on this "year of yes" see posts from December 27, 2012, January 8, 2013 and March 16, 2013.)

2 comments:

  1. I like your positive outlook. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reinforcement!

    ReplyDelete