Pages

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Whatever's available



I've had pasta sauce on my mind for a couple of days now, so decided to make some. I was determined not to go to the grocery, but to make the sauce with what I had. I was delighted to find that I had put away a whole bag of onions (crucial to pasta sauce for me) and of course I had plenty of tomatoes that I'd canned. So I dived into making what is a true comfort food for me. The aroma of pasta sauce simmering on the back burner for hours is delightful on a cold, snowy day. And the fact that I made it with what I had (substitution is a fine art that should be embraced) was even better.

Growing up pasta sauce was made a very specific way with ground beef and while I still like that version, if you don't have ground beef, you can still make the sauce. I know my mother wouldn't think so, but you can. It won't taste the same, but if it tastes good, isn't that ok? Not that traditional tastes should be left behind, they shouldn't! But we can be creative and economical and make tasty food without having to go to the grocery for special ingredients all the time. Eating from the pantry and the freezer makes so much sense to me. It's an enjoyable challenge to see what results and if it makes sense to document the recipe or continue tinkering.

Today's effort is on the recipe page.

No comments:

Post a Comment